T For Tub – Harold Bring The Tub | Valentina Cirasola | Interior Designer

http://myatozchallenge.com/2012/02/20/welcome-to-my-a-to-z-challenge-2/I am participating to My personal A to Z challenge blog.
I chose to write on the subject of HOME. In a year time  I will complete my coverage in this subject in all the letters of the alphabet. This is my first article, T for Tub. I hope you will enjoy some of my entertainment on the matter, some history, some information and colorful photos. Welcome.

We don’t think much of all technology we use on a daily basis and how technology has improved our lives. Has it always been this way? Of course not, our modern comfort is a direct result of the discomfort of past generations. However, no improvements would have happened if family kept up with the costume of having servants to light candles or tending fireplaces, warming up water to fill bath tubs, or emptying chamber pots.

As the industrial revolution started at the end of the 18th century England, domestic technology began to develop, but it developed slowly.  Hard to believe a cabinetmaker started to fiddle with mechanical inventions and came up with what was known as the Bramah Valve Closet. Bramah invented a toilet bowl that would seal the water inside and prevent the cesspool from re-entering the room. A few country houses were fitted with the new piping technology system, the rest of the populations thought it was just a fad, so much that even by the late 1900s, many English aristocrats preferred the portable tubs brought to the bedroom for their weekly bath in front of the fireplace and the chamber pot remained close by in a corner of the bedroom, or in some households in the corner of the kitchen or dining room.

Oil Rubbed Copper

Above: Copper Tub – Oil Bronze Finish – Approximately: $4,000.

In some special period décor of today’s homes, stand-alone tubs are still used as show pieces, some have claw feet, some sit on the floor, but they all function with modern plumbing and we don’t call them portable anymore. We have become servant less and more confidently depending on technology.

The Moen’s ioDigital tub – http://www.moen.com/iodigital (watch the video, it will surprise you) allows the user to fill up the tub with a remote control as far as 30 feet away. large-Moen
The Moen’s ioDigital technology controls water to a desired temperature and volume, the device alerts when hot water runs low and tub overflows, it is also equipped with an anti-scalding feature and safety lock. The suggested retail price for the tub is around $1,200 less expensive than the stand-alone period copper tub (about $4,000) and around $2,500 for the “vertical spa” which includes rain shower head and body jets.

We sure have come a long way and in a very short time! Ciao,

Copyright © 2013 Valentina Cirasola, All Rights Reserved

ValWorkingValentina Cirasola is a trained Italian Interior Designer in business since 1990. Being Italian born and raised, Valentina’s design work has been influenced by Classicism and stylish, timeless designs. She will create your everyday living with a certain luxury without taking away your comfort. She loves to restore old homes, historic dwellings and she focuses on remodeling. She is the author of three books all available on
Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/9agl5v9
Barnes&Nobles: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/valentina-cirasola

1. terry1954
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 03:08:05

wow, that is some tub and what a price!!! awesome tub!

2. MisBehaved Woman
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 03:37:04

I love the copper tub – neat shape to it. If I ever win the lotto, I’ll pass on a fancy Moen tub and get the super-deep claw foot tub I’ve always wanted. Love my technology but really cherish some “classic” items, too!

Jan 18, 2013 @ 07:54:06

I love tubs!

4. Green Door Hospitality
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 15:28:36

Great post! Very informative!
    Kenley

5. petit4chocolatier
    Jan 20, 2013 @ 03:29:09

Loving the tub. Definitely love the cutting edge technology on it!!

Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:12:20

Love that bathroom—someday. Right now I have a bathroom that is so narrow I have to turn sideways to reach my loo.

7. katya kitchen
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 17:49:23

Very interesting! Beautiful tub.