Garden Inspiration | Valentina Cirasola | Interior Designer

In this part of the world, California, we are having a mild summer, very pleasant and conducive for work in the office, or work in the garden and a day at the beach is never scorching.
For a couple of months, we can still make improvements to the garden, before we need to prepare it for the coming winter. The garden should follow the architectural style of the house, at least at the front street side, the curb appeal should reflect it. The interior part of the garden, or otherwise called backyard, might be extravagant, whimsical, dreamy, or it might be kept in the same style of the house.

If I am designing the interior colors, I keep them communicating with the exterior and the garden colors. This will avoid the choppy or disconnected feeling and will keep everything in harmony. A Mediterranean style home with a Japanese style garden is out-of-place. The best way to design an interesting garden, large or small, is to divide the ground in many vignettes and create a certain rhythm that will invite you in. My Pinterest board has been an inspiration; so many good ideas and tips are showing up and I am taking full advantage of all of them. Here there are some solutions I find very intriguing:

Strawberry rocks – No longer need to worry about birds eating your baby strawberries. Place these rocks around the strawberry patch, the birds will bite on the rocks thinking they are biting on the strawberries and will soon learn never to come closer to your patch.

(Click on each photo to view it larger).

Strawberry Rocks

(Photo above: Spaaz.de)

Broken clay pot
– Do not discard, use them to create a view in your fantasy.

Create islands – Place an island here and there, with loose bricks and rocks, the pot in the center will carry the plants arrangements of your liking and will become the centerpiece.

(PHOTO BY MARK LOHMAN – This Old House)

Simple fountains – Very inexpensive to do, made of simple rocks or leftover construction material, a small lining to collect the recirculating water and a pump; place them anywhere between plants.

(Photo above: http://ahigo.net/4442-garden-water-fountains/water-fountains-with-small-pond)

Pathways – I love to see pathways not designed in the same style. Pathways should change according to the vignette design. Keep them interesting.

(Photo above:  http://www.woohome.com/ideas/25-lovely-diy-garden-pathway-ideas)

(Photo above: Tom Mitchell’s display in Plantasia Garden Show)

Playing games – Don’t you love this checkered game area with tall chess pieces?

(Photo above:  DIY Network)

Vertical orchard – This is possible to create even if you don’t have a garden, on a balcony or on a terrace. If you can, plant food, it will be better than food sold in stores, guaranteed!

(Photo above found on: http://www.finecraftguild.com/5-vertical-vegetable-garden-ideas)

Paint a color door – Allow only one door leading in the garden to be of a different color, I painted red my garage door leading to the garden. A bit of splash of color among the greenery is intriguing.

(Photo above found on: http://loveliegreenie.tumblr.com/post/6354519618)

Do you like vintage? – Look what is possible to do with old china sets, or with an old musical instrument. One becomes bird’s bath with a few modifications and the other one becomes a flower display bed. Actually, a speaker hidden inside the flower display, would a stylish solution, from which the music of a violin diffuses in the air. I often hide speakers under resin rocks. How sweet!

(Photo above – http://www.architectureartdesigns.com/40-ideas-of-how-to-reuse-tea-cup-artistically)

A relaxation area – Unused trampoline can change into  a cozy daytime bed where to nap on a Sunday afternoon, or anytime rest is needed.

Many different ideas, funky, whimsical, elegant and original will be available. If in doubt call the expert, I love to design gardens that speak of you.
I do offer design consultations on-line through Skype line. Visit my Pinterest boards, when you have some free time: http://pinterest.com/vcvalentina/. Ciao,

Valentina Cirasola has been in business as a designer since 1990.
She has helped a variegated group of fun people realizing their dreams with homes, offices, interiors and exteriors.
She designs landscape concepts as a complement to the residential design concept as a unity.
Check out her books on

Jul 30, 2012 @ 19:13:19

Do you live in California? I thought you lived in Italy. Nice post love the mosaic stone and pebble path and the green door.

Jul 30, 2012 @ 19:42:03

I am Italian born and expatriated to California a few years ago, just outside San Francisco.
      I do go back to Italy a few times during the year, often for business and since I am there, I visit my family and friends too.
      I love as well the paths that bring out fantasy and make me imagine. Thank you for stopping by. Ciao.

Jul 31, 2012 @ 05:07:48

I lived in California for 30 years just left 2 years ago. I love Northern Calif. I lived in Los Angeles. Take care. Much love. Sindy

Aug 02, 2012 @ 09:08:34

Cool examples. Some day I hope to have a garden.

Aug 02, 2012 @ 14:54:25

TBM, if you have a balcony, terrace, or a window with a terrarium you can have a small version of a garden as long as there is sun for most of the day.

4. island traveler
    Aug 04, 2012 @ 03:49:38

These are really cool, creative and artistic ideas. Fun, practical, adventurous. Love the last part the most, it’s like being in a spa resort…I bet I will fall asleep with wonderful dreams. Thanks…

5. Robin Jean Marie
    Aug 04, 2012 @ 12:19:57

I love your whimsical suggestions for the garden! Now I need to go hunt down some strawberry rocks–I had not heard of those before!

Aug 05, 2012 @ 12:46:07

Wow! What cool ideas to improve our living place! Thank you to much, Valentina!

Aug 05, 2012 @ 18:41:27

The checkerboard/chess is amazing! 🙂

Aug 05, 2012 @ 19:45:00

I am honored to nominate you for The Reader Appreciation Award! Please pick-up your award at http://www.grandmothermusings.com . Copy and Paste the Award to your blog and follow the rules of acceptance. I wish you many blessings. Congratulations!!

9. Zen and Genki
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 00:08:19

That first pathway and the green door are divine!